Students can pursue a bachelor's degree by first attending a community college and then transferring to a four-year institution. Community college students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university should be aware of the transfer requirements that may apply in their particular situation or program of study. These requirements vary with ACT score, high school preparation, high school GPA, and the individual transfer college.

An articulation agreement is an understanding between two academic institutions that a course offered at one institution will be accepted for transfer credit at the partnering institution. Articulation agreements help students take appropriate courses at the community college that will transfer for credit toward a bachelor's degree at a four-year institution.

Mississippi’s community colleges have an articulation agreement with all of Mississippi’s four-year public colleges and universities and with Millsaps College.

Students may take freshman and sophomore level transferable academic courses while at a community college. Generally, one-half of the hours required for a bachelor's degree may be transferred from a community college and applied to that degree at a four-year college or university.

It is important to choose courses wisely. The Mississippi Articulation and Transfer Tool website has been created to ensure that those seeking transfer to a Mississippi public four-year institution select the correct courses. It is essential that community college students meet with their community college academic advisor on a regular basis and refer to the articulation agreement when making community college course selections.

Tools and Documents



Reverse Transfer



Mississippi community college students are well aware that they can transfer credits from their community colleges to four-year institutions and that those credits will count toward earning a bachelor's degree. Many may not be aware that the reverse is also true.

Reverse Transfer allows students who have transferred from a community college to a public university with at least 16 transferable credits to transfer credits earned at the four-year institution back to the community college. These reverse transfer credits count toward earning an associate degree, which gives students an additional credential and improves employability.

The Reverse Transfer Process is simple. Once you have completed at least one semester at the university, request the university send your transcript back to the community college you attended. Contact the registrar at the community college you attended and ask them to analyze your transcript with the credits you earned at both institutions to determine if you are eligible to receive an associate degree.

The registrar will notify you if you are eligible and then all that is left to do is pay the graduation fees, if any, and you will receive your diploma. Some community colleges also require you to complete a graduation application; check with the registrar to determine if any additional forms or fees are required to receive your diploma. Receiving your diploma signifies that you have achieved a milestone en route to a bachelor's degree and serves as another building block in your foundation for success.



To be eligible to participate in the Reverse Transfer program, a student must:

  • Complete 62 hours in the courses required at either the community college or university to complete the requirements for an associate degree in accordance with the policies of the individual community college. At least 16 transferable credit hours must be completed at a single community college.
  • Be a current or former student at the community college from which you are applying for a diploma and a current or former student at a public university in Mississippi.
  • Adhere to the policies established by the community college or university to facilitate the Reverse Transfer Process.
  • Pay any fees required by the community college or university in completing the process.


Frequently Asked Questions


Contact Information

Dr. Erin Eaton

  • Assistant Executive Director for Academic and Student Affairs
  • Mississippi Community College Board
  • 3825 Ridgewood Road, Jackson, MS 39211
  • 601.432.6391
  • eeaton@mccb.edu


Dr. Casey C. Prestwood

  • Interim Associate Commissioner for Academic and Student Affairs
  • Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning
  • 3825 Ridgewood Road, Jackson, MS 39211
  • 601.432.6501
  • cprestwood@mississippi.edu